The Chinese brand Raise3D specializes in the production of 3D printers, as well as parts, filament and software for them. In 2015 they launched their first crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter, and today they are recognized as one of the most promising and dynamically developing companies in their segment.
The brand focuses on devices suitable for professional use and designed for long-term continuous printing. Their target audience is businesses and organizations that aim to innovate and optimize the production process through automation. Importantly, Raise3D’s high-tech products are extremely easy to use: even a novice can learn to use them in just one day.
An overview of the Raise3D Pro2 3D printer
Here’s what this device looks like. The more compact model is the Raise3D Pro2 and the longer model is the Pro2 Plus. The Pro2 is almost as good as the Plus model in terms of specifications, but it is significantly different in size. This difference may be decisive for you in choosing the best device for your business.
This model works with FFF (Fused Filament Fabrication) technology. Its dimensions are 620 × 590 × 760 mm and the dimensions of the printing surface vary depending on the number of extruders.
The printing surface dimensions of the single-extruder printer are 305 × 305 × 300 mm.
The printing surface of the printer with two extruders is 280 × 305 × 300 mm.
NOTE: The Pro 2 Plus measures 305 × 305 × 605 mm for the single-extruder version and 280 × 305 × 605 mm for the dual-extruder version.
The printhead travel speed ranges from 30 mm/s to 150 mm/s. Pitch size is:
- X-axis – 0.78125 microns;
- Y-axis – 0.78125 microns;
- Z-axis – 0.078125 microns.
The default nozzle diameter is 0.4 mm, but 0.2, 0.6, 0.8, and 1 mm versions are also available. The print layer thickness is 0.01 mm.
The printing surface is made of aluminum, equipped with magnetic holders and is heated during operation up to +110 ºC. The heating layer is made of silicone.
ATTENTION: The HEPA air filter effectively and silently removes the nanoparticles of dirt and fully complies with the current environmental standards. Thanks to this filter, the specific smell that comes from the printer during operation is not as pungent.
The printer comes with the ideaMaker slicer which supports STL, OBJ, 3MF files and is compatible with Windows, macOS, Linux operating systems.
The device is equipped with a 7-inch touch screen, the screen resolution is 1024 × 600. The printer has two USB-connectors and can be connected to Wi-Fi or Ethernet.
The model has a built-in live camera that allows you to watch the printing process in real time. The camera is connected using the same software ideaMaker.
The manufacturer’s warranty is valid for 1 year.
This article is about the Pro2 3D printer, which is available in two varieties: Standard and Plus. The review will give its technical specifications and equipment, consider the step-by-step process of preparing it for work and list those areas of business and production in which this model will be most in demand.
The Raise3D Pro 2 is especially appreciated for its ability to print complex mechanical parts in any desired run and with high accuracy. The impressive size of its workspace allows you to create objects of sufficiently large size.
The printing surface of the printer is made of materials that are typically used in the aerospace industry. The heat is distributed exceptionally evenly across it, minimizing the risk of distortion. Also important features of the print surface are that it is easy to remove and is designed for prolonged, intensive use.
WARNING: The user will not have to calibrate the print surface because it has already been calibrated at the factory.
The printer door closes smoothly and quietly. This has been achieved by using magnets instead of latches.
The touch screen shows all the nuances of the printing process in great detail. Using a visual interface, the printer owner can flexibly adjust all the printing parameters.
If printing is interrupted unexpectedly due to a lack of filament or a power failure, it can be resumed without loss. The extruder has a built-in sensor that gives a timely signal when the end stops are approaching and when the filament runs out. A forced stop will not affect the quality of the printed sample in any way.
The central processor can raise the inactive nozzle if necessary so that it does not accidentally deform the object being printed. The lifting height is only a couple of millimeters, but it is enough to eliminate the need for horizontal alignment.
WARNING: This model has an additional, third fan for blowing air to the extruder. Two of the fans are predictably mounted on the sides, and the third is directly on the heatsink. Thus, the blowing intensity is now much easier to adjust.
The 4-fold increase in torque reduces to zero the risk of slipping during printing. The device controller is recognized as best-in-class for reliability and smooth movement.
You can now control the clamping mechanism when printing with flexible filament and activate the filament end sensor when printing with plastic.
WARNING: Compared to previous Raise3D models the Pro2 print unit weight has dropped significantly. This was without sacrificing the quality of the printable surface.
According to the manufacturer the device can withstand over 100.000 printing cycles without deviating from the original quality standards.
Also an indisputable advantage of the Raise3D Pro 2 is its compatibility with an extensive line of filaments – but this will be discussed in detail in the relevant section.
Standard delivery set consists of:
- The printer itself.
- Platform for printing, whose surface is covered with a protective cover.
- Power cord.
- Thread holder.
- Hex wrenches.
- USB memory stick.
- Heat-resistant gloves.
- Nozzle Cleaning Kit.
- Other accessories that you may need during the printing process.
WARNING: The tools supplied with your printer are sufficient to prepare it for use.
Print quality and sample products
Here are examples of items that can be printed with this printer model:
Who is it right for?
The Raise3D Pro2 is ideal for 3D printing farms and small-scale production. It is particularly in demand in the following industries:
- Mockup and prototype printing. This printer will accurately print reduced copies of objects that will later be made from other materials or on a larger scale. This will allow you to objectively assess the capabilities, advantages and disadvantages of these objects, minimizing the cost of modeling.
- Creation of details, spare parts for machinery, small household items, souvenir products. This machine can be used to print buttons, hair combs, car and motorcycle parts, covers, hangers, drawer handles, and other similar items according to individual author’s sketches.
- Education. With transparent walls, bright LED lighting in the work area, and a live camera, the printing process is very easy to follow. The Raise3D Pro2 is a great introduction to the technology of 3D printing for school and college students.
- Engineering students can print and test parts as close to real-world conditions as possible. Teachers will be able to use the printer to make visual aids for classes. Creative students can use the machine to create works of art.
This is not a complete list of uses for the Raise3D Pro2. Businesses from many other industries will likely find a useful application for this productive, low cost model.
What materials are used?
The machine is compatible with the following filament types: PLA, ABS, HIPS, PC, TPU, TPE, NYLON, PETG, ASA, PP, PVA, fiberglass, carbon fiber, bound carbon fiber, metal powder, wood powder. The diameter of the filament is 1.75 mm. The maximum temperature to which the filament can be heated is +300 ℃.
Instructions for initial preparation for work
To prepare the device for printing, you need to act according to the following algorithm:
- Carefully remove the cable tie.
- Remove the 24 clamps holding the extruder in a stationary position before turning on the power. Failure to do so and start the printing process will damage the unit. Do not throw the clamps away either, as they may come in handy for transporting the printer later.
- Use the 6 point 3mm wrench provided to remove the clips from the Z-axis.
- Then raise the top sheet of foam in the toolbox, remove the power cord and plug the printer into a power outlet.
- Once the power is plugged in, the device will start up on its own. The printer is ready for operation when the touch screen displays “Home Screen”.
- Remove the box with the starter kit and thread from the base of the printer.
- On the step panel, you must select the 10mm interval and press the down arrow on the touch screen. In 5 presses on the arrow the Z platform will drop 50 mm.
- On the front of the printing platform you need to unscrew both screws counter-clockwise.
- Then open the protective cover and remove the printing platform.
- Then you need to remove the test calibration model from the platform with a spatula.
- The print substrate must be inserted onto the Z-platform so that its surface aligns with the Raise 3D logo.
- Next, place the thread holder in the mounting holes on the side of the device, place the spool of thread on the holder and make sure that the spool will rotate clockwise.
- Then push the thread through the thread guide tube.
- Then, you will need to set the left nozzle temperature for the thread through the settings menu on the screen and click on the “Load” button. Instructions will be displayed on the screen to complete the threading operation.
After that, proceed to install the software. It is called ideaMaker and is on the USB stick that comes with the unit.
The Raise3D Pro2 is an inexpensive, reliable and high-performance printer. Its highlights include a print layer thickness of 0.01 mm, compatibility with a wide range of filament, dual extruders, a factory calibrated print surface, and the ability to continue printing after an unexpected stoppage. The Raise3D Pro2 will be a worthwhile investment for educational institutions, small-scale production, 3D printing farms, and mockup and prototype makers.