Shining 3D scanner Shining 3D AutoScan DS-EX – a device made in China, released on the market in 2018 and revolutionized the dental industry. Let’s consider its features, scope of application, advantages and disadvantages, rules of adjustment and use.
Read the full review of the Shining 3D lineup on the blog https://top3dshop.com/blog/shining-3d-brand-review.
Overview of Shining 3D scanner AutoScan DS-EX
The company Shining 3D appeared in 2004, and ten years later has gained recognition in the international community. The devices produced by the Chinese company are distinguished by their laconicism, modern design and high quality.
The Shining 3D AutoScan DS-EX 3D scanner is a modern device with an open architecture that makes it possible to upgrade the model with minimal effort. The manufacturer’s technologies allow scanning and processing images on any computer connected to the hospital’s local network.
Shining 3D AutoScan DS-EX is an improved model of the previous generation Einscan SE scanner. This new, optimized unit retains the same operating principle and design. At the same time the accuracy and scanning speed were doubled.
The front side of the device is equipped with two 2 megapixel cameras and a projector lens that illuminates the scanning area during operation. The light source is safe for the user’s eyes.
The AutoScan DS-EX operates in two modes, automatic and manual.
Automatic scanning is available:
- for objects weighing up to 5 kg;
- objects that are no longer than 25 cm in length;
- Light matte objects with simple geometry.
When scanning in auto mode, the object is placed on a turntable with markers. The stage moves the model at a pre-set pace, and the scanner’s camera takes the required number of shots.
For this purpose, a special matte spray can be used to automatically scan shiny or dark objects. It should be applied evenly on the whole surface in order to achieve high image quality.
Manual scanning is useful for big objects or models with complicated geometry. In this case, the scanner is mounted on a special tripod, the object is placed in the field of view of the cameras on a flat horizontal surface and the object is rotated manually.
The Shining 3D AutoScan DS-EX 3D scanner is an open platform device that makes scanning easy. Additional modules can be installed on the device to extend its functionality.
Important! The Shining 3D AutoScan DS-EX 3D scanner is suitable for non-technical users because of its ease of use and control.
AutoScan DS-EX is a multifunctional dental scanner designed for oral data collection, preparation for implants, orthodontic procedures and dental restorations.
Suitable for large dental practices, dental laboratories and centers by reducing technician workload and increasing patient flow.
The AutoScan DS-EX incorporates the latest technology and Shining 3D’s own developments. This allowed for a significant reduction in scanning time. For example, it takes no more than 12 seconds to create a scan of one jaw. The whole process of scanning of the oral cavity together with the image assembly does not exceed one and a half minutes.
The AutoScan DS-EX has two scan modes, static and dynamic. The second mode achieves greater occlusion accuracy when collecting data from the entire jaw.
AutoScan DS-EX – 3D dental scanner | Shining 3D Technical Specifications
- Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10 operating systems
- Operating temperature 10°C to 30°C
- DC 24V power supply
- STL, OBJ file formats
- Dimensions, mm 260x270x420
- Weight, kg 5
- Scanning area 100x100x75 mm
- USB 3.0 interface
- Camera resolution 1,3 Mp
- Specialty Dentistry, Education
- Scanning accuracy ≤15
Important! 3D-scanner Shining 3D AutoScan DS-EX in dental surgeries, labs reduces doctors workload, saves time and minimizes costs for the production of models and impressions.
Pros and cons
The AutoScan DS-EX has the following advantages:
- Compact and modern design;
- Open architecture that makes it possible to expand the unit’s functionality with additional modules;
- High scanning speed and accuracy;
- modular system;
- all scanning protocols;
- good equipment;
- compatibility with most 3D printers;
- low weight;
- low cost;
- Scanning of impressions of any complexity and digitizing of textures, color images;
- maximum possible functions for dental laboratories and dental centers.
Important: The use of the Shining 3D AutoScan DS-EX 3D scanner in dental practices increases their efficiency several times over: the flow of visitors increases, economic costs decrease.
Disadvantages of the device:
- restrictions on the size and weight of the object for automatic scanning;
- Strict requirements to the PC configuration.
The AutoScan DS-EX comes with the following equipment:
- Complete scanner, packed in thick film and styrofoam;
- USB cable for connecting the scanner and computer;
- power supply;
- A set of tools for periodic maintenance and repair work;
- electronic key for software activation;
- calibration plate;
- five mounts for models: separately for scanning the arch, jaws in bite, models plastered in the articulator, upper and lower jaw separately, casts;
- Adapter for scanning in the articulator;
- height adapter for calibrating and scanning the stamps.
Important: Instructions for use are included with the unit. It covers all the issues of using the scanner in great detail, in particular, the rules of fixing structures for different models.
Who is it good for?
Although the manufacturer designed the AutoScan DS-EX for dental clinics, it is used in other industries as well as for home use.
Dentists can use the device to:
- scan and create models of teeth, jaws;
- Carry out preparatory operations before prosthetics: scan impressions, implants, prostheses, pins;
- Make models for orthodontics.
At home the scanner is used to scan small parts, objects for further 3D-printing and repair work.
Designers and advertising studios use the AutoScan DS-EX dental scanner for scanning small series of models, such as promotional materials, souvenirs, and installation components.
The AutoScan DS-EX is capable of scanning the majority of models required by dentists:
Perfectly scanned lower jaw with high precision:
Bite scan with color coding:
Examples of how images can be built for subsequent 3D printing:
The AutoScan DS-EX is easy to use and requires no technical knowledge or skill.
The software is supplied by the manufacturer. The software is called Dental Manager and is designed specifically for the AutoScan DS-EX scanner. In addition to this program the user can use two other image processing programs:
The scanning process is the same in all three cases.
The new model can be created from three different menus: dental scanning, intraoral or clinical mode.
Dental Manager has an intuitive interface, saves user settings and can work with a network of computers. The software is integrated with cloud storage for easy data exchange between doctors, clinic, lab, patient, and dental technician.
DentalScan contains just four desktop tabs: new file, setup, maintenance, and calibration. When creating a new file, the user can enter data manually or select the desired data from the drop-down lists.
The program scans in the following options:
- collapsible, non-collapsible model, impression, separate die;
- occlusion: scanning an impression in the bite;
- restoration and dental position diagram: crown, pontine, inlay, onlay, abutment.
Important: Using the “Preview” function, the user can check and edit the model in the created file.
Minimum system requirements:
- Computer or laptop only based on Intel processor at least i5;
- Main memory not less than 8 gigabytes;
- video card only Nvidia GTX640/750 or better;
- 2 USB ports: scanner connection via USB 3.0 port only, the second port is for the dongle;
- Windows 7, 8, 10 (64-bit only).
Important: Connecting the Shining 3D AutoScan DS-EX 3D scanner to a computer with a different configuration may cause the device to malfunction and void the manufacturer’s warranty.
Initial Setup and Getting Ready Instructions
According to the Technical Manual, the AutoScan DS-EX is set up first by installing the software:
- Insert the flash drive into the USB port and save the contents to the PC’s hard drive.
- Connect the scanner to the PC and turn it on.
- Install the software using the “Installation Wizard”.
- The second step is calibration of the device. Before starting the procedure, you need to check in the “Device Manager” if the scanner is installed correctly.
Start the calibration:
- Place the platform on the rotary table.
- Start the DentalScan.exe software.
- Click the “Calibrate” button in the upper menu.
- Run Dental Meneger.exe program, click Calibrate.
- Compare calibration serial number in software with the number on the rear surface of the platform.
- When the process is completed, the message “Successful calibration” will appear.
- If everything is done correctly, the scanner is ready for use.
Important: If you do not see the calibration message, you must contact Technical Support.
AutoScan DS-EX is a modern, stylish, high-precision desktop scanner made in China. It combines brevity, convenience, high speed, excellent resolution, ease of use and low cost in this segment.
The disadvantages of AutoScan DS-EX are strict requirements to the computer configuration and limitations to the volume and weight of the object to be scanned automatically.
AutoScan DS-EX is designed for large dental centers and dental labs. Often it is used in educational activity by medical institutes. In the Russian Federation AutoScan DS-EX is not widespread yet, although in Europe and the USA it is one of the most popular models of dental scanners.